Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Machine metaphor


In response to the question, Is the machine metaphor still applicable in the 21st century? I would have to say,"yes", that is, as long as people continue to use it. While it would not be my first choice to describe our current system of education, it has validity in some contexts. Those that view students as products to be manipulated into non-descript uniformity would be perfectly happy with this metaphor. When I think of education in the 21st century, the ideal I strive for reminds me of something that Tony said this past winter term, something about berries we pick along the path of life. This seems more appropriate to me. Sometimes the berries are sweet and juicy with just the right balance to satisfy our hunger, other times they are not quite ready and require more time to ripen and should be left for the return trip. Yet other times, if you take to much, you will end up with a belly ache. Ideally, they should satisfy your immediate need and leave a delightful yearning for more.

I also wanted to comment on the group work we have been doing. It has really been an enjoyable experience for me. I find that there are many things I take for granted or assume about schools and professional practice based on my own views, beliefs and experiences. On the one hand I feel fortunate to be in the setting that I am, on the other, I am appalled to hear the stories of oppression and inequity that many have shared. More about that at a later time as I am still thinking that one through. I've got to get the kids in the tub and read a story. Undoubtedly another evening with Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I just finished Corey's blog which uses the metaphor of cooking and now you with the berries. I the nosher that sits next to you, you can see how I relate my experiences better with that of food. This last post is a nice depiction of a part of your personality= balance and justice.